Monday 24 January 2011

English for What?

Hello everyone!
Today, I talked with my friend who is studying in San Diego, California.
We discuss the accent of English.
The issue was how should Japanese people speak English?
In Japan, especially youth people tend to be speaking like American or British people.
However, nowadays, English is spoken all over the world.
There is Singlish, Indian accent, and many countries own their accent.
Even some Indian people try to get American or British accent.
Because It's easy to make others understand his/her English probably.

Then I'm confusing which accent I should follow.
At the moment, Japanese accent is not so famous, personally I think because it is general thing to get native speakers accent.
On the other hand, some famous person like Yukio Mishima speak with Japanese accent.
I think elder citizens tend to use heavy Japanese English.

In my opinion, to speak Japanese English (is so-called Janglish) is good thing.
Because that is one of national character.
I know there are some problem to communicate with other countries people but we all countries have each tongue and English is important to connect the world.
I mean, if there is not English how can we talk each other nowadays.
And the most important thing is not accent but what we talk.

But I know Japanese English is not easy to get understanding for foreigners.
That's the problem.... :(
I need more time to think about that.
What do you think about this thing??
Give me your idea. :)

cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Actually, a lot of research have been done about this topic. Many people around the world believe that when you learn English you should have an American or British accent, but researchers say that World English (English with any accent) is very important!
    I think that if a Japanese person is willing to speak English, than their accent does not matter...it is just great that they are willing to speak!! :)

    Very interesting topic Yuta!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lisa-san!

    Sometimes,,, probably many times I have difficulty about pronunciation of English...
    Perhaps I should follow American or British accent but on the other hand I should not forget accent is not most important thing. The important thing is what I say.
    Recently I'm anxious to speak English. :(
    Here India people use Indian accent. I mean probably there is their listening problem and my speaking problem.
    Anyway, I try to study more hard and become the person who is not afraid about English.

    Thank you Lisa-san. It's precious idea because you are studying about English language teaching. I want to have talk with you... thank you so much indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete